Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Back to Business

Good morning!  I have had a wonderful time with my visitors these past 6 days, and they are safely on their way back home today.  I am overjoyed to have DH home as of last night as well.  I wasn't able to find any time to sew, but I do have a dress I would like share with you, made last summer, and I will share what my future sewing plans are for this upcoming week.

This dress was made last summer using Kwik Sew 3402.  The fabric is a drapey knit with a tropical print purchased from The Fabric Fairy.  They do not have this particular print anymore, but they have a category called, "Mamas Deserve Yummy Fabric Too", where there are lots of neat prints.   
I made the size XS.  The pattern is designed for wovens.  Since I used a knit I did not insert a zipper in the center back, and I went down one size than what I normally sew using this pattern line.


DH and I will have a date night this weekend to celebrate our seventeenth wedding anniversary, which was officially last Saturday.  Thanks for all the well wishes by the way.  I would like to sew a new dress for this occasion.  I am thinking about this pattern from the Burda Style - 12/2009 - issue.
I have a crinkle, jade-colored, sequined, gauze that I think would be just the right combination of casual and snazzy.  Perfect for dinner in boho Paia Town followed by a walk along the seashore.  Also, did you hear Ann is having a pajama sew along over Thanksgiving Weekend?  I am going to participate in this as well.  You might like to also.  The more the merrier!  I haven't decided on what type of pj's to make yet, but I plan to make some for the boys as well.  

Low rainbow over cane fields looking toward the North Shore.
Have you heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow?  It's my favorite. 
 

22 comments:

Irene said...

What a perfect, easy summer dress! Love the print. Though, honestly, I'm feeling rather chilly just now, looking at you in a sleeveless outfit. Your plan for the Burda sounds wonderful.

Angela said...

Beautiful dress!! Awww... congrats on your wedding anniversary!

beangirl said...

Like that Burda (and the KwikSew too). And that's my favorite version of Somewhere too. In fact, thanks for the reminder, I think I'll put it on the kiddos' iPods tonight.

Happy Wedding Anniversary!

Karin said...

What a cute sundress! And what an amazing full rainbow! Life is good. :)

Kyle said...

Beautiful dress!!

What a beautiful rainbow!

Brother Iz? I have that CD, I bought it at the aquarium, which I think is called the Maui Ocean Center? Love the start of that song, it brings tears to my eyes.

Jane M said...

Your dress is as gorgeous as that rainbow. Thanks for the link, I love that version.

Kyle said...

And thanks for the link for the pj sew along, I will join!! (you know I get so distracted by Hawaiianna!)

Sue said...

That's a lovely dress - somehow the pictures on the front of Kwik Sew patterns do not do justice to the actual pattern. I am also joining in Ann's Pajama Sew-Along.

Kyle said...

hey, i spy a piece of your fabric in this post! http://www.spottedroo.com/blog/?p=1262

Lori said...

Cute summer dress and the rainbow is incredible.

velosewer said...

Love the dress. The fabric is great.

Julia said...

How many ways can I say, "You look awesome in that dress."? I guess I could say, "That dress looks awesome on you." But, I guess that's pretty much the same thing. Anyway, however it is said, "You look awesome."
I think that fabric sounds great for your anniversary celebration. Congratulations. Ahhhhh.....a walk on the beach..............sounds so romantic!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Such a cute dress, can't wait to see the next one.

Carolyn said...

This dress is totally adorable! You look just gorgeous. Ahh, dinner followed by a walk along the beach sounds like a perfectly romantic evening. Hope you have a wonderful night!!

Eugenia said...

Very cute dress in a very lovely print!

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

This dress is so fresh and pretty and summery... and it looks fantastic on you. Nice job!

sonoemi said...

The dress is very, very beautiful!
This song is my favorite. It is the most beautiful of the many cover versions!

Caroline said...

what good tips to convert a pattern meant for wovens to a knit - the dress looks so comfy and pretty. I'm looking at the picture of the back view and thinking, "yup, she has no problem finding hills to run." he he ... Will be eager to see your anniversary dress!

Zuzana said...

Cute dress and it looks very heart-warming for me, since the winter's coming here, in Central Europe :-/.
I LOVE this version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I first noticed it in the movie "50 First Dates", I even bought the soundtrack because of it, but it wasn't on it. So thanks for posting it! This song interpretation has the Hawaiian feel as I imagine it. I love Hawaii, which might sound odd, because I've never been there, but it's my wishlist-place-to-go.
Happy anniversary!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Perfect dress to wear on a beautiful island! The rainbow is amazing, wow. We don't get many of them here in DC, I guess we don't have the right weather.

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your dress, looking forward to seeing your next one. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

amber said...

That dress is very Tommy Bahama - a good thing in my book! :) That version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow is my favorite, too. It's just really beautiful.