Saturday, November 20, 2010

Anniversary Dress - Burda Style #103 12/2009

I am happy to tell you that I have finished Burda Style #103 from the 12/2009 issue just in time for tonight.  I used an inexpensive cotton crinkle gauze with a light smattering of sequins from my stash.  This color is not one of my favorites, but I did think the fabric would translate fairly well into this pattern.  I lined the dress with a white cotton batiste, also from my stash.  I would have preferred a matching lining, but I think it is mostly hidden from public view.  I made View B, which is the shorter version.  I added a mirror image hem to the opposite side of the dress because it was too short and I wasn't fond of the asymmetrical hemline.  It reminded me of "The Flinstones".  I also realized this dress was not drafted to be fitted, so I added two back darts for shaping.  Overall, I think the dress does look nice for a casual dinner in a tropical location and am excited to wear it tonight.  Without further adieu may I present my interpretation of Burda 103-12-2009...

Construction Notes:

This dress consists of two pattern pieces.  The front piece has a bust dart on the left side.  I cut one dress from the fashion fabric and another from lining.  I cut the sleeve off of the lining piece and cut the hem about an inch shorter than the dress.  I then hemmed the lining at the sleeve and hemline and basted these pieces to the fashion fabric, treating both as one piece for the rest of my construction. 

Next, I inserted an invisible zipper on the left side.  If your dress is going to be fitted you will want to have a long zipper.  My zipper stops just about 1 inch below my neckline and ends just below my hip.  To get a snug fit on the dress I basted the other side seam and began experimenting on where to place two back darts.  This took a considerable amount of tries and just when I thought I had it all worked out, by husband pointed out that the back darts were shifted to one side.  I think this happened because the dress sort of shifts forward on one side because of how the sleeve rests on your shoulder.  So I had to shift the darts over about 1.5".  So if you make this, be sure to try it on to mark your center back.

Once my back darts and side seam were finished I hemmed my sleeve and proceeded to finish the neckline.  I cut a bias strip of closely matching fabric about 1.25" wide and about 1 inch shorter than my neckline.  I joined this strip together in one continuous circle and stitched it to the neckline using a 3/8" seam.  I understitched it then turned it to the inside of my dress where I wrapped the bias strip around the seam and hand stitched it down to the lining fabric only.  This way I have no seam showing on the outside.  Here is a picture of what I did. 

Next I hemmed the dress.  As I said, I didn't like how it looked so I cut another bottom half of the front and back dress pattern, flipping the pattern pieces since I wanted to create a mirror image.  I then hemmed this new bottom and stitched the side seams and laid it in under my dress to make it even on both sides.  Again, I tried the dress on to make sure the hemline was even.  Once I was sure of my placement, I stitched it to the dress following the hemline stitching on the opposite top layer.  I finished the raw edges under the dress with pinking shears, not very pretty, but it is not visible and you cannot see the outline of the seam under the dress.  Here is a close-up of the finished hemline from the outside!
I don't have plans to make this again, but it was a fun pattern to try for a special one time event, using up some of my more challenging fabric.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  

19 comments:

Gorgeous Things said...

Oh that is so pretty! Unfortunately here in Boston, we're heading into the time of year when 1 shoulder dresses just won't do, but I'll keep this one in mind for my anniversary in June.

Mary said...

Really pretty! I am curled up by the heater vent with a lap robe, and reading about your tropical date dress. hmmmmm :-)

Happy Anniversary!

daiyami said...

That's a great dress! Looks lovely, beautiful color, nice style (funky but not too funky). Really like the hem.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Happy Anniversary! Your dress looks lovely and the color is very pretty on you.

Karin said...

Tropical Dinner in a Casual Location..... ahhh, to be a babe in Hawaii!

Your dress is perfect. I really like the smattering of sequins too.

Happy anniversary!

Handmade said...

Happy Anniversary - great dress - I really like what you did with the hem - looks much better! Great colour - hope you had a lovely night

Myra said...

Great dress Shannon! I love this color, it's one of my favorites! The fabric is heavenly too! You did an awesome job on the design of this dress. I'm sure the hubby appreciated it too! You look beautiful!! Happy Anniversary and hope you had a great time!!

Sheila said...

What a lovely dress and you look great... Happy Anniversary!

Lisa said...

I love your date night dress . That colour is gorgeous and perfect for Sunny weather . How lucky you are lol !!

Irene said...

Lovely dress! The colour looks great on you. Happy anniversary!

My Daily Creation said...

Lovely dress! Glad to see you had a great evening with hubby!

katherine h said...

Very pretty dress! I love the hemline you created.

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary! Your dress is lovely and the colour looks really good on you!

Alexandra Mason said...

I love your dress its gorgeous!

velosewer said...

Just gorgeous Mushy.

Ann Brodsky said...

Soooo pretty! So light and airy. Love it. Hope you had a great anniversary!

Linda said...

Wow! Great looking dress. You wear it well!

Tasia said...

Gorgeous! It's pretty and beachy and shiny all at once. You look fantastic in it!

amber said...

Happy belated Anniversary!