Friday, October 15, 2010

Sneak Peek #6 and Another "Challenging" Fabric

I have pulled another older fabric (at least 8 years old) from my stash for my current project.  It is an interesting rayon with a slight stretch running vertical to the selvage.  I decided to take advantage of the stretch and cut my project perpendicular to the selvage.  In-other-words the grain will run side to side instead of up and down.  The texture is also unique.  It is like a very fine corduroy in the way it feels and has a sheen like velvet.  The color is a denim blue.  Here is a sample of the fabric with a sneak peek of the project. 

 
In other sewing news, I have another fabric in my stash I am a bit obsessed with, because it is another "What was I thinking fabric?"  Only this time, I'm fairly certain I know what happened when I decided to buy this beauty.  You see, before I became a stay-at-home mom, late last year, I was a medical/surgical RN who spent her whole nursing career working in hospitals.  Without a doubt, my subconscious kicked in and over-rided my sense of fashion.  "Hmmm....Was I planning to make the chicest hospital gown in the unit?" 

Ah...So here is my challenge.  I must make it into something wearable, that won't look like a hospital gown when I am all finished.  Will you follow me on this journey? I've been mulling this one over for some time,  and I still haven't come to a conclusion, but I think I am close!  By the way, how are your challenging fabrics coming along?


14 comments:

Irene said...

Most of my "fabrics of questionable taste" were "inherited" from someone or other. For the most part I prefer to ignore them, but my use for them is either for aprons (for the church bazaar -someone else might like them, and they usually do), or tote bag linings.

Shellie said...

Lovely pleating on your dress! and yes, I can't wait to see what you do with that fabric :)

Sue said...

I'm interested to see what you come up with using that 'hospital gown' fabric. It is rather challenging fabric. The blue corduroy-type fabric is lovely.

sewing spots said...

Good luck!

Mazzygirl said...

That has GOT to be New Look 6000! I've just bought it too as I loved the interesting pleat detail on the side seam! can't wait to see it made up, the fabric certainly looks interesting.
You want to talk about UFO's in the stash? well I've got a ridiculous amount in mine! but I can't bear to throw or give any of them away ;-) but I guess that's nrormal for us sewing folk!
How much of the hospital gown fabric do you have, & what is it? (it looks cotton-ish to me) I imagined it in a blouse with a big necktie bow of some sort, to totally ensure you didn't end up with the hospital gown look.
All though I must say it would make a pretty funky hospital gown if all else fails!

Vanessa said...

It looks like you have an interesting challenge on your hands!

Karin said...

I'm just grinding through my iffy fabrics by making proto-types and getting some practice in. It works for me because I am a beginner and really do need to practice techniques.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Hmmm. I thought it might be Simplicity 2337 but now I agree with Mazzygirl. we will just have to wait and see.
as for oddball fabrics in my stash - oh yes, I have a few of the what was I thinking. In fact two that I am planning to return, get them out of the house and get my money back!
How about a skirt for that print fabric?

MushyWear said...

Mazzygirl and Beth, you are on it. I am working on New Look 6000. I love the pleating detail at the side. I am just hoping it works out. I'll keep you all posted on the "hospital gown" fabric. He he. I love a good challenge.

Caroline said...

Oh, I like the sneak peaks! he he, I'm envisioning the bottom print as scrubs, lol! I bet what you come up with will be alot better.

I hope you are enjoying running a bit more! I ran a couple of low key 5K's last year (though about 2 minutes off my personal best) - though that isn't my favorite distance - I really prefer the longer stuff. I'd love to get to the point where I felt like I could race decently - whether I will or not remains to be seen ... I haven't run a serious race since Nov 2004 ... but that's okay, I got a great little boy out of the deal. :) Hope yours goes well and is enjoyable!!

Handmade said...

The blue "cord" looks lovely .... the other, well, I'm thinking of splicing it up into a panel skirt or something - actually really, now I think of it ... I've got no idea!!

Kyle said...

At the doc's office this week I was wearing this mauve gown with horrible floral print and thinking "it's better than paper, but this print is horrific". I would've loved to wear your "chic-est hospital gown"! The only thing I can think of to do with that gown fabric is to make pj bottoms???

Linda said...

I was thinking a tunic top, but why not pj's!

Anonymous said...

For your hospital fabric, I vote for sewing another skirt like your poppy zebra one. The accent fabric could be solid black and quite striking with a black sweater.