Friday, October 8, 2010

Poppies on Parade

If you have any beloved quilting cottons laying around, I would recommend New Look 6981 for a cute, casual, comforable look.  I had fallen in love with this poppy print earlier in the year and stashed it for what I thought might be a tunic.  However, View D only requires 1 3/8 yards of fabric and 3/8 yards of contrast.  I had picked up 1.5 yards of the poppy material and .5 yards of the zebra print.  Perfect! 
The skirt has a wide curved waistband and six deep inverted pleats, three on the front and three on the back.  I have so many regular zippers in my stash that I keep trying to use them when I have a print that is suitable, like this one.  So I did a lapped zipper on the left side, as the pattern instructs.  I used Pro-Sheer Elegance fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply for the waistband.  It's the best interfacing I have worked with and it happens to be on sale right now. 
I paired the skirt with a couple of rtw tops from my wardrobe, but I think it would look really cute with the cowl neck pictured on the patttern envelope too.  It's Aloha Friday.  Enjoy your weekend!  

 

25 comments:

Lori said...

Darling skirt.

Mary said...

What a cute skirt-the poppies are so bright and cheerful.

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous print , I adore a bright print and this looks like a great way to use one. l

NĂ³ra said...

Such an exciting contrast! But it's really good.

Karin van D. said...

Normally I am not really into animal prints, but I love the contrasting band on this skirt. It's very fun and cheerful, nice!

Sue said...

That's a lovely skirt!

Karin said...

What a cute skirt! I love poppies. Whenever we see a painting for sale with a field of poppies I want to buy it. But I never do, my husband isn't quite as keen.

Irene said...

Beautiful! Love the fabric combination. LOVE the poppies. The shoes are the crowning touch.

Vanessa said...

What a great skirt! I really like the fabric combination, too. I always try to find New Look patterns, but have only bought one that interested me. You made me give this one a second look!

beangirl said...

Love that!

Eugenia said...

Super-cute skirt and I love the combination of beautiful prints you have used!

Amanda S. said...

Super cute! Mismatched prints are so fun!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Love this outfit and the skirt fabric is "gorgeous".

Caroline said...

oh, wonderful. I love floral skirts and the best way to get them is to use quilting cotton. Such a fan of all the wonderful prints .... I would so borrow it from you. If we lived nearby and if we were the same size, which we aren't ... :)

Yeah, the crotch issue in goose's pants must be the diaper allowance, since I am still using toddler patterns ... wonder if it will be less so when we move to 4-5?

I would love to see what you do with ottobre patterns. Are you subscribing? buying single issues? I used their free diaper pattern when I was making fitted diapers for goose, and modified it some ... They have some really really nice stuff and not the sort you can find anywhere else ... Will look forward to seeing what you think!!

Have a good weekend.

Myra said...

Your skirt is adorable! I've never combined different prints together in one piece like that but I LIKE IT!!! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

a little sewing on the side said...

I love your cute skirt!

Karyn said...

So cute! I love your fabric choices!

Handmade said...

Lovely skirt - very refreshingly cute!

Linda said...

Love how you used this fabric for a truly cute skirt! Love the vibrant color.

Alexandra Mason said...

I love this skirt, the prints are gorgeous! Hope you have a great week.

knottygnome said...

that's a lovely skirt. great match with the shoes!

Carolyn said...

This skirt is adorable! I wouldn't have thought of pairing a zebra print with a poppy print, but it looks totally amazing and gorgeous!
And it looks perfect with the simple little white top and red cardi like you have it here.

Gorgeous Things said...

Love that skirt! And I really love the styling you did with it.

velosewer said...

Those colours look great on you. The patterns are bold and compliment each other. Nice work again.

amber said...

So bright and fun! Love!