Sunday, October 17, 2010

New Look 6000 - Resplendent Retro

I want to say thank you to those who have chimed in on my "hospital gown" fabric.  I will think about all your suggestions and keep you informed of my progress with it. 

Today, I have finished New Look 6000, and I love the pattern.  It is a retro style dress with sleeve, neck and front variations, according to the pattern description.  I made view B, but left off the buttons.  I really like the simplicity of the design and did not want embellishments. 

I made a size 10 and didn't make any alterations.  I feel like the fit is right on.  There may be just a little bit of room across the upper back, but not enough for me to feel self conscious.  As you already know, I made this from a textured rayon, which I cut on the crossgrain.  The fabric seems to have had the perfect weight and drape for the pattern.  The collar is cut on the bias and I did not interface it and it stays up on its own.  The pattern does not call for you to interface the collar.  The pleats look beautiful and shape the front bust area. 

The only thing I don't really like about the collar is how it closes on the back.  You must put a hook and eye half-way up the collar and then turn it down.  I didn't get a picture of this, but if you could somehow bring the zipper halfway up the collar, I think it would be a nicer finish.  The neck and armholes are finished with facing.  This dress would be a great candidate for lining, but I didn't line mine.  

I inserted an invisible zipper.  I had read Beth's tutorial last week and discovered that you could actually insert one without changing to an invisible zipper foot, and just use a regular zipper foot.  "Why didn't I think of that?"  It saved me so much time!  However, I did take the time to hand baste it in, and the results were marvelous.  Yes, I did use another off color zipper from my stash!

Here is a close-up of the collar:

Here is a close-up of the pleats:


The back has two waist darts for shaping and a walking vent.  I also decided to hand baste the hem in place.  The shadows show some tension issues with my handbasting on the hem.  I'll have too take a look at that again and see if I can press it a little better.  This fabric behaves like a polyester in that it doesn't respond well to pressing.     



Overall, this pattern is very easy to put together because of its simple design.  Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!
  

38 comments:

Nóra said...

Are you Jackie Kennedy? :-) So elegant.

Christiana said...

Wow...you look absolutely stunning. That shade of blue looks wonderful on you.

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Renee said...

Wow! Great dress! It looks fabulous on you.

Marie said...

Wow, that dress looks amazing. So elegant.

sonoemi said...

Wow, what a beautiful dress- very elegant!!!
The pattern I have to have it.

Alexandra Mason said...

I love your dress! I got this pattern last week, i'm so glad now i have seen yours it looks wonderful on you.

Anonymous said...

THAT is drop dead gorgeous sewing Daughter of mine!!!!!!!!!
Fantactic on you! I LOVE it.....one in every color!

mom

Deana said...

fantastic!

Gordita said...

Great dress! I think stunning is the perfect word to describe it.

Stitchy Witch said...

I like it - I agree, very elegant! That's a great color on you as well.

Vanessa said...

You never cease to amaze me! Beautiful dress in a beautiful color!

Sewtellme said...

I love this dress. It looks fabulous on you!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

You look amazing in this dress. Beautiful color and very stylish!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

agree with everyone, love that color, it looks great on you. Very nice job. Sew chic!
what a flattering pattern - I must have it for my stash.
and I am glad the invisible zipper tips helped.

Beth
sunnygalstudio.blogspot.com

Lori said...

What a stylish and chic dress, looks wonderful.

Lisette M said...

Very pretty dress, the pleats are really beautiful.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I love it...you did a fantastic job and got a fantatic fit.

Kyle said...

I love that collar. I saw the dress that's on the pattern envelope at the Simplicity fashion show at the ASE and bought the pattern while I was there. Great job Shannon!

velosewer said...

Really stunning on you. It's a great look and it's beautiful.

Sew4Fun said...

Lovely dress in a gorgeous colour. It's very flattering on you.

Handmade said...

Yes, that is a stunning little dress - the collar is so interesting and flattering - well done!

Sue said...

I love your dress, the colour is gorgeous and you have sewn it beautifully. It fits you perfectly.

Mary said...

It is lovely, and the fit looks so elegant.

Irene said...

Lovely, as always.

Lisa said...

Elegant with a capital E ! You have such a great figure and this style is amazing on you . I have invisible zip insertion envy LOL !

Carolyn said...

This is so elegant and beautiful! Oooh, I think I want to rush out and get this pattern now too. The subtle asymmetrical detailing are perfectly set off by the plain unpatterned fabric and that colour is gorgeous on you. Just stunning!
You've been making such a lot of beautiful garments lately!

Karin said...

You look great in your new dress! It is so simple and elegant. Pretty without being frilly.

Eugenia said...

I love this stunning dress. The retro style is beautiful and suits you so well. The fit is perfect - you've done a wonderful job!

knottygnome said...

ooh i just bought this one. yours looks fabulous!

Caroline said...

Oh, beautiful!! I love the pleating and the collar ... mental note for this pattern ... :)

Love the invisible zipper.Who cares if it is a different color? It's invisible!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Your Mom's comment above was so sweet. ;)

You look fabulous in this. It fits perfectly. The side pleats are a great feature, and they really stand out in this material. Very inspiring!

Amanda S. said...

Great dress! The fit is fabulous!

amber said...

Gorgeous - the color, style and fit!

Digs said...

What a beautiful, perfect dress! I'm impressed!!!

Tasia said...

This is beautiful on you! The fit is superb, what an elegant dress!

Angela said...

Ooo... what a pretty dress! I love all the details on it and it fits you perfectly!

Sølvi said...

I love it! It looks so elegant on you. And thanks for the review on PR! :-)

sewphie said...

Beautiful dress -- love the color, the fit is great too! I do the same thing -- use off color zips from my stash, but did you know you can paint the pull with fingernail polish to match the fabric? Here's to great home ec teachers who gave us some good solid training!!