Monday, October 25, 2010

The Fix Times Two

Just a quick post on two items.  The little bit of sewing time I had this weekend was devoted to the HP 1090 dress and changing the length of my Burda 8087 trousers.  I need to get a new camera.  It is so difficult to get clear pictures with the one I currently have. 

I cannot tell you how many times I reworked the top of the dress.  I lengthened the sleeves two inches, narrowed the cuff another 3/8", and moved the shoulder seam forward about 3/4".  I shortened the width of the collar ribbing but increased the length.  I cut out a bit more of the dress to widen the neck opening.  Then I proceeded to attach the collar ribbing a number of times until I finally settled on what you see here.  I also decided I just didn't like the puff sleeves, so I eliminated the cuff altogether.  I added a double row of top-stitching around the neck and hemband with my coverstitch machine for more detail.  This dress is finally finished, and I will wear it now.  I feel relieved to be able to move on.  I am the type of sewer who cannot start a new project if there is another project left undone!   

I have worn my Burda pants several times since making them.  The fit is superb and they are comfortable, but they are too hot with the long length.  Any time I wore them I found myself rolling them up.  I decided I would like them cropped much better and took 10" off the length.  I hemmed them 2".  Now they are perfect.  I found this knit top at Costco for $12.00.  I really like the look of the two pieces together with the ballet shoes.  I am planning to make another version of this Burda pattern soon!


Have a great week everyone!



Iao Needle 2010

  

21 comments:

amber said...

I really like the changes you made to both pieces. The pants are a great length and I agree, they look superb with the ballet flats.

Debra Martin said...

Shannon,
I really like what you did with the pants. They look fantastic.

paola said...

complimenti fai veramentr dei bei lavori ..uno piu'bello dell'altro mi piace il tuo stile ...hai un bel fisico e ti sta bene tutto...fai qualcosa di particolare per mantenerti cosi'..ginnastica corsa diete alimentazione cosa fai come mangi' TI AMMIRO MOLTO SEI BRAVISSIMA

Eugenia said...

I really love how you have worked on both garments to get them how you want them. I think that both the dress and the pants look fantastic!

sownbrooklyn said...

The change to the dress is amazing! What a difference it's made! It looks much more like something that fits into your wardrobe now than it did before.

Vanessa said...

Yes, I must admit that your dress looks wonderful after all the work you did! The pants still look great, long or short. That is a great pattern for you.

Mary said...

Yes to the dress!! The puff sleeves are gone, and that is good. The overall balance is correct now too. You are so talented :-) Love the pants with the cute ballet flats.

Kyle said...

OMG, Iao Needle! I get all misty eyed thinking about it. Here I am at Iao Needle, almost 2 years ago! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdburkhardt/3143053286/in/set-72157609162633756/

How many stray cats did you see when you were there?

Irene said...

I like these sleeves on you better. Good for you for persevering. Dress looks cute on you. The pants look good, too. Sometimes it makes sense to fiddle with something to really make it right, so that you will actually wear it, instead of having it languish in the closet. No sense in throwing away all the time invested in the first place, right?

Julia said...

Your dress does look very good! Great save. The cropped pants are perfect on you.

Carolyn said...

Ooh, I liked the dress before, but now I like it twice as much! You've made it look so much better! Fabulous save! The neckline is a lot more flattering, and I like the sleeves like that too.
re Burda 8497, my bust and waist measurements correspond just about exactly with size 12, so I just made up that with no adjustments. It fits like a dream. I must say it gapes a tiny bit, but not so much that it's at all a problem, just something to be aware of, ie. not a yoga- or extreme sport-appropriate top.... I've used the pattern twice before and I'm very happy with it.

lili ash said...

I love the changes you made to the dress! The shoulders look great now- too cute!

Karin said...

Isn't that just the way? Whenever something is supposed to be quick and easy, it turns out to need a bunch of faffing and reworking! The dress does look good now anyway. I especially like your pants.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love your changes to the dress--the lower back neckline in particular is really flattering. It is getting on Fall weather here in DC and, as with every year, I wish I lived someplace that never got cold! Though I suppose I would miss tights. I like wearing them for about two months, then I am totally over it.

Uta said...

I like the dress both ways, but I'm glad you like it now, too! I love what you did with the pants. Cropped striped pants, what I'd give to be in Hawaii and able to wear those right now :-)

Alexandra Mason said...

Love the changes you have made to the dress and pants. Have a wonderful week!

Handmade said...

An excellent result for your perseverance!

Angela said...

Great changes for both pieces! Hehe.. if I waited to finish a project before moving onto the next I would never complete anything! :D

Myra said...

I love the changes on both! The dress and pants fit you beautifully! It's frustrating to have to complete so many changes just to get a good fit, but in the end, it's all worth it!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Your re-working these pieces paid off: they are great! The dress looks really comfortable and wearable.

Lisette M said...

The changes you made really made a difference! Both pieces look great now.