Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Baby I's Big Bros. PJ's

This evening I finished Baby I's big brothers' PJs.  Boy, that's a mouthful!  Yes,  Baby I has two big brothers and as I was thinking about a set of pj's for the one who loved the Ooga Booga set, I realized the other brother was surely going to need a pair after he saw his two youngest with their very own.  So one pj set became two, and I used up some of my little boy stash fabric.  Double bonus! 

Here are the three Kwik Sew patterns I used to make a size 4T and a size 6 set.  The first pattern on the left goes from size T1 to T4 and the two patterns on the right go from sizes XS (4-5) to size XL (12-14).  Although I cannot use the first pattern for my boys anymore, it sure comes in handy for gifts.  You can probably tell from the tattered envelopes, these have all been used a lot. 
The first set is the size 4T.  It is made out of a spaceship themed french terry.  I found this fabric at The Fabric Fairy a couple of years ago.  It should be nice and warm for the coming winter months.  The cuffs and neckband are made from a quality cotton ribbing with spandex so they retain their shape really well.  I used my coverstitch machine to hem the top and topstitch around the neckline.

The second set is the size 6 and is being modeled by my youngest DS.  The grey thermal knit came from Fabric.com and does not retain its shape at all.  It has no spandex in it, but it is very soft and I think using a quality ribbing with spandex for the neckband and cuffs, will keep it properly fitted.  I fused the logo from the pants onto the front and stitched around it.  The bottoms are a woven cotton.



One of my secrets for getting a lot of sewing done, especially in the evening, is that I don't watch television, except for one show during the week.  Can you guess which show that might be?

17 comments:

Lisa said...

Fabulous PJ's I wish we could get great fabric like yours here in the UK at a reasonable price !! I don't watch tv in the evening either otherwise I wouldn't get anything done .

CK said...

That spaceship fabric is so cute, and I love how you used the spiderman logo for the pajama top for the other set. I bet your boys were really excited!

Irene said...

You are so lucky to have a coverstitch machine to finish off hems. I'm always worried how the hems will turn out, and possibly ruin all the efforts put into the item in the first place. PJs look fantastic!

Marie said...

I would venture to say project runway? It's the only one I take the time to watch.

Uta said...

Such cute and cuddly pj's - lucky boys! And thanks for telling us at least one of your secrets for getting so much sewing done. (I'm convinced there is also a magic potion involved on top of no TV!)

Joy said...

How nice to be able to use up some little boy fabric stash. They will surely appreciate them! The cute boy prints still tempt me, but my youngest boy is 8...Actually, I did succumb recently and buy a cute lizard print.

Gordita said...

Great pjs. Now I want a pair for myself! Ha!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Nice jammies. very comfy looking.
and is it Project Runway that you watch?
and does anyone else think they rush through the runway show at the end. I want close-ups of those garments, so we can see their actual sewing.

Julia said...

warm and cozy!

Vanessa said...

I love the PJs, especially the Spiderman ones!

I think I may have to turn the TV off as well, except for one show...Could it be Project Runway??

Caroline said...

I watch Project Runway too, if that's the one. :) Actually, I have several recorded for when I need to use the bike trainer instead of running. It makes an hour of peddling tolerable. So don't tell me what happened!!

I love sewing PJ's - hate the store-bought one with all the fire retardant stuff built in... yours are so very cute! I hear you about using quick sew over and over ...

I don't watch TV either, but I seem to need alot of sleep - and have trouble sleeping too ... so I try not to stay up late sewing. I really need to get some done in the afternoon - goose's new pants aren't being made very quickly at all.

Alexandra Mason said...

Love the pjs! I hardly watch TV either but i do spend alot of time on the internet then wonder why i never get everything done :)

Sue said...

Really cute pjs! I'll have to vote for Project Runway or Mad Men, they seem to be the most popular TV shows that I've heard people mention.

Kyle said...

Cool pjs!
It ha to be Project Runway!

MushyWear said...

Oh you are all so smart! It is Project Runway. And yes, Beth, I think they rush through the runway show at the end and I would love to see a close-ups of the stitching too! I got these cute pj's sent off in the mail today!

Handmade said...

Adorable Pj's - I watch very little TV - but all of these great blogs really absorb some time!! Oh well!

amber said...

Those look great!