Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Simplicity 2364 + New Look 6710 = Lilikoi Cheesecake

I've decided to call this outfit Lilikoi Cheesecake. It has all the right ingredients. I can't help it, the skirt reminds me of delicious tropical desserts! 

The top is Simplicity 2364, View D and is made out of an ivory bamboo knit -silky smooth.  I acquired it from The Fabric Fairy a couple of years ago.  I only had one yard, so it was destined to become a simple top.  The pattern has full bodice facing pieces for the back and front.  I didn't want to use these facing pieces because they are cut so you would have to gather the shoulder, just like the front and back pieces.  That is a lot of gathering in one spot, particularly with this heavier weight knit.  I did my usual hemming on the neckline and armhole, which is to cut a piece of elastic a comfortable size, then zigzag it to the neck and armhole edge on the wrong side.  Then I turn the edge to the wrong side and use my coverstitch machine to finish on the right side.  This works like a charm and looks good too, I think.  I used a 3/8'' wide swimwear elastic this time.  The top is long, but I really like how it looks gathered, much like the shoulders, when I don't pull it down all the way.  I thought about putting elastic in at the side seams to keep this gathered look, but I may want to wear it smooth sometimes, so I haven't done that. 

The skirt is made from beautiful, 100% cotton, horizontally pieced, fabric with tropical floral prints, plaids, and solids.  I only used one piece from New Look 6710 to make the skirt; the front/back piece. I didn't want a drawstring waist or patch pockets, but I did want to have pockets.  So I drafted on seam pockets and made them out of a lemon colored cotton batiste, which I also lined the skirt with.  I used 1" elastic on the waist band.  Again, I just zigzagged it to the edge and turned the waist band to the wrong side and topstitched. 


I don't know if you will ever see me with a flower in my hair again, but it sure goes with the ensemble.          

5 comments:

Karin (the Mrs.) said...

Well, you certainly look tropical! :-D

Very cute outfit.

sewing spots said...

Great outfit! Beautifully made.

Opal said...

I love this top.. I bought this pattern a while ago and was waiting for someone to review it. You outfit looks great. Thanks for the review.

Eugenia said...

What a beautiful outfit! I keep thinking that I should make a one shoulder top - yours looks fantastic. The colours of the skirt are lovely and the style goes perfectly with the top.

velosewer said...

You've done a great piece of work with both the top and the skirt. They're both stylish.