Friday, May 14, 2010

Jacaranda

You know it's May in upcountry Maui when the jacaranda trees are in full bloom.  Just look at this incredible beauty!  In honor of the season, the 4th annual Jacaranda 10K is tomorrow morning.  I think I will get out there and participate.  I'm not really this long of a distance runner, but I don't think I want to miss the "up close and personal" experience of spring that this race will allow.  It only comes once a year!

I am also working with the most amazing fabric.  I purchased it at Gorgeous Fabrics.  I normally am not drawn to orange, however I think the color combination is unique and is going to make a beautiful blouse.  The fabric is a cotton lawn. It's very sheer, but not "see through" with the proper undergarments, and oh my goodness it is so soft and drapey.  I have two solid color fabrics that will go nicely with it (a linen and denim) and I will probably make a skirt out of one and possibly dressier shorts or capris with the other.

Here is the fabric and how far I've gotten with Butterick 5365, view A.  I am taking my time making this.  I have used french seams on the shoulders, sleeves and sides and Pro-Sheer Elegance Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply for the collar, band and front facing.   I love this interfacing.  The drape of the fabric is still intact after application. 

Here is a glimpse of the collar and shoulder tucks:


Inside of sleeve:


The view I am working on:


Hope you all have a brilliant weekend!

3 comments:

Home's Jewels said...

That tree is spectacular. And I think I like that orange fabric about as much. I love those colors. Can't wait to see the top on you.

marysews said...

I love the color of that jacaranda tree, but the blossoms make my DH sneeze.

Linda said...

Jacaranda tree photo was beautiful. I love your fabric for the blouse you are making.