Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Avatar" Dress

Can you guess why I gave this dress this name?  If you said it's because of the colors in the dress you'd be right.  I'm guessing my subconscious kicked in when I went through my sewing stash to see what to make next!  I made view A of this dress using Simplicity 2663.  The dress fits superbly and is comfortable and cool.  I did not have to make any alterations to the pattern except to shorten the dress about 5 inches. The neck edge and armhole have facing.  The pattern doesn't tell you to understitch the neck, but I did to avoid having the neck facing roll out, especially with those gathers.  The fabric is a brightly colored rayon batik purchased at a local fabric shop. 

The best thing about this pattern is that it is an "It's So Easy", but the design details really give it a polished look.  Starting with the neckline.  I love this little bit of gathering and I like how high it is with the arms cut-in a little bit to accentuate the shoulders. 
The back of the dress has a slit at the top.  I made the loop at the top for the button with 4 strands of thread and followed the instructions as far as how to do the crochet like stitch.  I chose a single glass iridescent button floating around in the bottom of the button drawer.  It has a purple sheen to it. 

Finally, there are on-seam pockets and walking slits at the side seams.  I will definitely save this pattern to make another dress.  I think it would look elegant in a floral or solid color.  I do think a flowing drapey fabric is the best type to use. 


5 comments:

Home's Jewels said...

I love EVERYTHING about this dress - fabric, style, etc. Going to add to wish list right now! Great job.

Alexandra Mason said...

I love this dress, it looks fantastic!

marysews said...

The dress is really nice, but ... I. Want. This. Fabric. -- where can I find some? I went looking for it on the internet and came up empty.

Julia said...

I love everything about this dress. You look fantastic in it!

MushyWear said...

Thanks everyone! The local fabric store where I found this fabric (2 years ago) has a website: www"dot"GotFabric"dot"com. Hope that helps.