Aloha Online Ohana,
Mahalo for your recent comments on the last sewing project. I have worn it a couple of times since making it. I definitely want to make another pair of tencel, cropped pants. I have 2 more cuts of tencel in my stash that I am considering.
However, I left that pattern alone this past week or so and have now made a little skirt and blouse combo. Here are the patterns:
I made the skirt from the pattern on the left, which I have made before in a knit. However, this time I made it in a medium-weight, striped cotton. I had fun designing a pocket to play with the geometry of the stripes. Secondarily, I also wanted a functioning pocket for my keys when I wear it to work. Here is a sneak peek of the pocket:
|The pocket is upside-down. This is before the facing has been turned to the inside.|
The top is made from the pattern on the right. I made view B, the sleeveless tank with no lace. This is made out of a linen/rayon blend that is almost a tissue weight fabric. It has a sort of cross-hatched design with yellow and rust colored threads going in opposite directions. I did not specifically buy this fabric to coordinate with the cotton, but I was happy to see that they do coordinate. The fabrics were purchased online from Fabric.com and Fashion Fabrics Club, respectively (I believe). The linen has been in my stash for a couple of years, but the cotton is a fairly recent purchase. Here is a sneak peek of the top:
|The pattern includes instructions for the drawstring. There are two small button holes for the functioning drawstring that only gathers about half of the neckline.|
And here is the final look:
Construction Notes: I cut the size 10 for the top. I deleted one inch out of the width of the back before I cut the fabric, so that the neckline would not be too wide. I also took up a 1" seam allowance at the shoulders. The top is a little short, so in the future I will lengthen it by one inch if I don't plan to tuck it in at waist level. Thankfully the original length works because the skirt sits at waist level, and I have about 4" of fabric still tucked in when the top is bloused out a bit above the belt. The top was constructed with french seams; the fabric is loosely woven. On the skirt, I took up a 3/8" side seam to give me a little more room at the hip, since my fabric is a woven. I finished it with an elastic waist that has been turned and topstitched with a double needle.
Thanks again for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! Here is a peek at one of the latest fish I have captured with the camera while snorkeling. It is a scrawled filefish, I believe.